As physical therapists, we hear all of the bad things people say about our profession:
“Physical therapy is a scam!”
“Physical therapy is a waste of time!”
“Physical therapy doesn’t even help!”
None of those things are true. We’ve seen firsthand how physical therapy can help people recover from injuries, manage pain and improve their mobility.
While every patient has a different experience, physical therapy can work to improve the health and well-being of many people.
Still think physical therapy is a waste of time? Here are five potential benefits that may change your mind.
5 ways that physical therapy can help people
1. Reduces pain — Physical therapists use manual therapy techniques to reduce pain. We also teach our patients therapeutic exercises that help them manage their pain in daily life.
2. Improves mobility — Many people seek physical therapy because they have trouble running, walking or even standing up. Physical therapy helps these patients to strengthen their muscles and increase their flexibility so that they can move around more comfortably. Some patients may need a device to help them walk, such as a cane, and a physical therapist can fit them for that.
3. Helps patients avoid surgery — Physical therapy can be a good alternative to surgery when the main purpose of the surgery is to eliminate pain. Surgery can get very expensive, of course, so physical therapy can be a more affordable option in some cases.
4. Helps patients recover from surgery — Of course, some injuries require surgery, and there’s no way around that. In these instances, physical therapy can aid in recovery by helping the patient stay active to avoid muscle atrophy.
5. Improves balance — Patients with a high risk of falling are walked through exercises that improve their balance and coordination. Physical therapy can also help reduce vertigo and dizziness in patients for whom that is a recurring issue.
Why do people think physical therapy is a waste of time?
It’s hard to say why some people say physical therapy is a waste of time, but it’s likely that those people weren’t seeing the right therapist.
In order for physical therapy to work for you, you must find one who understands your particular condition and offers the type of services you need. If you’re an athlete recovering from a sports injury, you want a specialist who has experience with athletes. If you struggle with neuropathic pain, you should seek out a physical therapist who understands your condition.
Alliance PTP is ready to help you find top-notch PT
At Alliance Physical Therapy Partners, we’re proudly bringing together physical therapy practices across the country to help people get the high-quality PT they need. Want to see a physical therapist in person? We can put you in touch with an Alliance PTP partner that’s close to you.
Not keen on in-person PT sessions or not close to an Alliance PTP partner? No worries. We also offer effective and affordable virtual physical therapy through our Agile Virtual Physical Therapy platform.
Contact our team today so we can help you find the most effective physical therapy services for your injury or condition.