Physical therapy is a way to prevent short-term disabilities from becoming chronic conditions. Physical therapists help patients to speed recovery from surgery and musculoskeletal injuries. They also help to eliminate or minimize the need for prescription pain medication. More and more people are realizing the benefits of physical therapy, making it one of the fastest-growing sectors of the health care industry.
With the ever-increasing number of options available, it can sometimes be difficult to know where to turn when you are in need of physical therapy services. Your individual needs as a patient aren’t going to be the same as everyone else’s. While a one-size-fits-all approach might work for buying hats, it isn’t the best option for choosing a physical therapy clinic.
Whether you need rehabilitation after an injury or you are looking for help managing your long-term conditions, there are several things that you should consider when choosing a physical therapy clinic.
What should I look for in a physical therapy clinic?
There are several things that you should look for when you are choosing a clinic for physical therapy. You may find that your needs don’t always match with the services offered by clinics in your area. If you are on the lookout for a physical therapy clinic that best meets your needs, here are the top five things that experts recommend you look for:
- Services — Not everyone goes to physical therapy for the same reasons. Some physical therapy techniques and services that will benefit you more than others. For instance, you may be suffering from osteoarthritis pain in your hands. You may have no need of electrical stimulation therapy, which is used to treat stiff and sore muscles. However, an athlete with a stiff shoulder might seek out this service. Check with your clinic to see what forms of therapy they offer. They can help you determine which services are right for you.
- Specializations — Some clinics specialize in physical therapy for a specific group of people. One clinic may emphasize sports medicine and athletic injury recovery. Meanwhile, others are geared more toward treating long-term conditions. Some conditions may also require a physical therapist to hold a special certification to treat. Checking with your primary care physician will help you understand what specialized care you may need.
- Personalized care — One of the benefits of physical therapy is the personalized care that you can expect from your therapist. A good physical therapy program should be customized to suit your individual needs, recovery goals and schedule.
Many clinics offer screenings that will help them understand your condition before treatment. They can perform an evaluation and listen to your needs and concerns before you commit to a physical therapy program. These screenings often come at no cost to you.
- Telehealth options — Many people don’t seek physical therapy, even if they need it. A lack of available clinics in their area is often listed as a reason for this issue. You may also have mobility issues, scheduling conflicts and transportation problems that prevent you from physically traveling to a clinic.
More and more physical therapy clinics are making their services available through telehealth to help patients overcome these barriers. During the pandemic, virtual physical therapy became the only way many patients could attend physical therapy. Accessibility is incredibly important when choosing the right physical therapy clinic for your needs.
- Cost — Lowered health care costs are one of the biggest ways that patients benefit from physical therapy. It helps you to avoid costly doctor visits, pain medication and surgeries. Clinics that offer telehealth physical therapy can also help you to save on transportation costs.
However, some states place limits about which kinds of physical therapy can be covered by insurance without a doctor’s referral. If you are seeking physical therapy for a work-related injury, it is also crucial to make sure that your clinic accepts all forms of workers’ compensation insurance.
Where can I find the best physical therapy clinics in my area?
If you are seeking the highest standards in care from providers who will put you first, look to Alliance Physical Therapy Partners. We are growing a community of exceptional physical therapy practices across the United States. Our focus is to keep the patient and their needs at the center of everything that we do, with the greatest network of resources and experts available in the industry.
Alliance Physical Therapy Partners has a wide network of clinics in our family. We are also partnered with virtual physical therapy providers to offer services to those who may not be able to reach one of our many locations. We understand that accessibility is vital in ensuring that patients receive the best care possible. Advances in technology allow us to offer physical therapy services from the comfort of your home.
Find a location near you for more information about how we can help you find the best physical therapy services in your area.